If I’ve missed anything, like always, you’re welcome to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for suggestions.
- Bar News
- Black Whiskey, from the owner of Kushi, soft-opened Thursday, May 3rd (and officially opened on May 5th) in Logan Circle right south of 14th & P. Really excited about this spot. Two floors with separate personalities: the first floor “Social Room” will be used for live music/DJs/art exhibitions with a capacity of 250, while the second floor “Carvery Pub” will be more of a standard bar with 10 craft beers on tap along with 60 whiskeys. There’s a free pool table too, and some awesome sounding food ($18 carver plate w/ meat + 2 sides). Opens at 6p everyday (like Black Jack nearby) (Borderstan, WaPo GoG/Fritz Hahn, BYT)
- Hill Country’s Backyard Barbecue opened up for the summer on Friday, May 4th on the lawn of the National Building Museum (use the Judiciary Square Metro). It will be open everyday except Monday & Tuesday, beginning at 4p on weekdays and noon on weekends. BYT has a rave review (bring your own picnic blanket, it’s gonna get crowded.
- Policy announces its 3rd annual Memorial Day (Sunday) all-you-can-eat-crab party. $35, includes fixins. Noon-5p. Usually these day parties at restaurants aren’t great deals, but this is a good one.
- The infamous Rumors in Dupont files for bankruptcy protection. The bar’s 2nd time filing for bankruptcy (1997), it has been open for over 30 years. (WBJ)
- Stoney’s, the neighborhood spot in Logan Circle famous for their grilled cheese, celebrated its 45th anniversary (though only last several in Logan Circle) and announced plans for 2nd location in the wasteland that is the West End at 21st and L. Will be much less divey (though the current place isn’t that divey). (Young & Hungry)
- The Donovan House hotel on Thomas Circle in lower 14th Street will open revamped rooftop bar, renamed DNV (called ADC in past years), in mid-May. Somehow it spent $300k to renovate an already nice space. Food looks good, and luckily they’ll continue their solid 5-7p happy hour. (Washingtonian Best Bites)
- The great GW dive, Froggy Bottom Pub, is moving to a much nicer space in an office building 3 blocks away on K Street. Been in the old space since 1985; excited about the banh mi sandwiches. A friend from UVa’s parents own the place; extremely nice Vietnamese couple. Lot of trepidation, but should be a fun spot and will fill a niche in the immediate neighborhood. (PoPville)
- Millie & Al’s,one of DC’s best dive bars and possibly the first bar I went to in DC back in 2003 or 2004, celebrates its 50th anniversary in Adams Morgan. Read this great Washington City Paper column and come celebrate with drinks priced by the decade from Wed. May 8-Fri. May 10th. (Young & Hungry column, Millie & Al’s Facebook page)
- Great map of Bar Roof Decks (elevated outdoor spaces not surrounded by walls) in the DC metro area
- New Posts: No new reviews, but I hope folks found the two posts on Cinco de Mayo and The Derby in DC helpful
- Barred in DC Activity: GBD (Dupont), The Brixton (U Street), American Ice Company (U Street), Satellite Room (U Street)