Recapping the week that was with bars in DC. This week I hope to unveil a slightly different concept for this website, less crappily written reviews and more content.
- Bar News
- The fledgling bar scene in hipsterdom Bloomingdale gets bolstered with the arrival of this terrific-sounding dive bar, Showtime Lounge at 1st and Rhode Island Ave. NW. “Low-ceilinged one-room bar” focuses on cheap drinks and great tunes from a free @jukeboxes. A few draft beers come out of a 80 year old water tank, with $3 canned beers and $4 glasses of boxed wine makes this sound awesome. Opened by a local DJ on May 31st, this bar bucks the trend by going cash only. (Fritz Hahn/GoG)
- Federal Restaurant & Lounge opened on May 29th in Adams Morgan. From the owners of Floriana and Pulpo, this two-level spot was formerly home to Saki and District Underground. The main ground floor is the restaurant, which serves Modern American, while the lounge located downstairs won’t open till 10p most nights. (Young & Hungry)
- The Hilton Brothers (Marvin, 18th Street Lounge, Gibson, Chez Billy, Satellite Room, Hanoi House, The Brixton) are planning to open a German beer garden in a vacant lot next to Dodge City. Apparently, they’ll serve German food out of shipping containers and may have a take out window on U street when it opens in October (Barred in DC prediction: opens next April). (PoPville)
- Washingtonian’s After Hours Blog has a stellar post listing 23 (16 in DC) bars and restaurants that host outdoor happy hours. I’m personally intrigued by BLT Steak, despite the kind of lousy view of Eye Street commuter traffic jams.
- Mason Inn (Glover Park) announces that they’ve reached an agreement to open up a 48-person rooftop bar as early as October (Barred in DC prediction, this won’t open till next March), according to Fritz Hahn/GoG. This bar (I need to make a visit) will be hosting a $30 Crab Feast Summer Kickoff ($25 until 48 hours before event) on June 8th from 4-8p. All-you-can-eat-crabs, sides, live music & drink specials.
- The great Standard on 14th Street expands to Monday for the summer. (Twitter)
- Circa in Dupont gets in on the late night happy hour train. $6 wings, calamari, and flatbreads from 10:30p to close on weekdays, even Friday. More bars/spots need to do this (I’m looking at you, GBD). (Twitter).
- Barred in DC Activity: Ceiba (Downtown)-I got the $5 Sinkhole de Mayo drink, Bread & Brew (Dupont), Cafe St. Ex (U Street/Logan Circle), El Centro D.F. (U Street/Logan Circle