This week brought the beginning of summer and lots of bar news:
- Bar News
- GoG’s Fritz Hahn writes up the Dr. Clock’s Nowhere Bar, a new one-room divey bar with a great name. This spot, located at the corner of 18th St. & Kalorama Rd. above Rendezvous Lounge, serves cheap beer and cocktails, along with solid DJs after 10p on weekends. Star Wars-themed, for some reason (the previous incarnation, the MiG Bar, had a Soviet-theme)-I hope to check this out soon. (Fritz Hahn/GoG)
- Bar Di Bari, the new coffeehouse/cafe/bar from the owner of Drafting Table, opened Saturday morning on 14th & R Streets. Large outdoor seating area will surely be a draw. Open 7a-11p M-F, 10a-midnight Sat, & 10a-9p Sun. (PoPville)
- Flash NightClub opens up on Florida Avenue in Shaw. Sounds like it has a good sound system. (PoPville)
- Kabin Lounge, next to the recently-temporarily-closed The Gryphon in Dupont, is set to open Saturday June 29th. Unintentionally hilarious press release highlights the “aesthetic inspired by 1970s alpine culture” and its “360-degree departure from DC social life.” Bar will only be open Thu-Sat nights at 10p till close. Expect this to be full of dudes from McLean. (PoPville)
- 1905 announces it will be hosting a 4th of July roof deck bbq with 3 Stars Brewing Co., one of the fledgling DC breweries. Tickets are on sale for $15 advance/$20 door, which gets you access to one of the best rooftop bars in town, 1 grill item (burger/wings/sausage/ribs) + 2 sides & $5 3 Stars draft beers from 3p-10p. (Facebook)
- PoPville poses a great question: what’s the best sports bar in DC? Lots of votes in the comments for Ventnor’s and Nellie’s, along with my reluctant pick of Buffalo Billiards. (PoPville)
- New cocktail menu debuts at Black Jack (U Street/Logan Circle). I’ve only had beer at this 14th street spot, but I’ve heard solid things about it’s cocktails. (Drink DC)
- Barred in DC Activity:
- Thunder Burger & Bar (Georgetown): first trip to this slick, motorcycle-themed M Street restaurant/bar. Had a great boar burger and enjoyed a flight of three of the many draft beers on tap. Good beer list for Georgetown, surpassed only by Pizzeria Paradiso in Gtown.
- Park Tavern (Navy Yard/Capitol Riverfront): one of the first (hopefully many to come) bar/eateries near Nationals Park; nice large U-shaped bar with solid beer/cocktail list dominates the small interior, while a large patio in the unique Canal Park is a good space. Slow service for post-Nats game crowd, but good to have options other than The Bullpen.
- Pacifico (Eastern Market/Barracks Row): solid margaritas on the huge rooftop overlooking 8th Street (bar itself is covered). Only second time ever for me on that strip on a weekend night; solid crowd.