Aside from DC bars (and restaurants), one of my biggest interests is following news about walkability and public transportation in the DC area. Although these interests seem very dissimilar, they’re actually quite related. One of the most underrated and underappreciated aspects of living a car-free/reduced carbon footprint lifestyle is the ability to go out to bars wherever and whenever without worrying about the consequences of getting a DUI or, worse, finding parking.
Embracing these two interests, Barred in DC will be hosting and leading (armed with my NextBus app) the first-ever (probably) 90/92/96 MetroBus Bar/Pub/Drinking Crawl/Tour/Excursion on Saturday, July 20th, from 1-7p. This bar tour, hopefully the first of many (though not all will involve buses), will span three of DC’s four quadrants and allow attendees to check out new spots or old favorites in Eastern Market/Barracks Row, H Street, U Street, and Adams Morgan.
Free to join in. You’ll need around $5 on your SmartTrip card to take the bus (Pro tip: free transfers within 2 hours each time we disembark).
Currently, working on drink specials and possible door/bus prize(s). Will update closer to the 20th.
Stops (times are tentative):
Molly Malone’s (Eastern Market/Barracks Row): 1-2:15p
- Specials: $6 Bloody Mary’s & Mimosas (normal brunch specials), $6 Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier ($2 off, special for us)
- Classy two-level Irish saloon, home of Kansas State Wildcats watch parties
- 714 8th St. SE (8th & G SE)
Boundary Road (H Street): 2:30-3:50p
- Specials: The bar is extending their normal brunch punch deal for us. $6 glass/$16 unlimited
- Cozy neighborhood bistro/tavern barely a year old (I’ve yet to visit); notable for an Obama visit last year
- 414 H St. NE (4th & H NE)
Solly’s (U Street): 4:20-5:30p
- One of the best dive bars in town
- 1942 11th St. NW (11th & U NW)
The Black Squirrel (Adams Morgan): 5:40-7p
- Best beer selection in the neighborhood, definitely a much more adult friendly spot on weekends compared to the rest of the area
- 2427 18th St. NW (18th & Belmont NW)
RSVP (not required):
Facebook page here.
I hope you can join us and we encourage you to invite others. Daytime, summertime drinking excursion? You don’t wanna miss this. Of course, please walk, bike, Metro (rail or bus), or cab to starting point in Eastern Market. Handy map of the route here.