Hope you enjoyed some of the events of DC Beer Week, which continues until Sunday. I’ll be out of town most of next week; I’ll be Barred in Toronto on part of this road trip, so there will be few tweets and no posts next week.
- Bar News
- As first reported by Barred in DC, Cause: The PhilanthroPub will be (8/16 update: temporarily, according to DCist and Young & Hungry) closing this month (read the post for more details). Young & Hungry went into its money woes in this week’s Washington City Paper.
- A new brew pub will be coming to Glover Park in the first quarter of 2014. Mad Fox Taproom, which has a popular Falls Church brew pub and produces beer for sale in DC, will be opening up in the former Mayfair and Pine restaurant on Wisconsin Ave. No beer will be made in DC though. (Fritz Hahn/Post, DCist, Young & Hungry, WBJ, PoPville)
- More details are released about Ivy and Coney, the new bar slated to open at 7th & P NW in Shaw from the owners of Kangaroo Boxing Club. The bar will be a neighborhood spot with a Detroit & Chicago theme (think hot dogs), and folks will be able to rent out liquor lockers for cheap drinks. Owners have an Indiegogo page to raise money for extras. Mixed reaction from my Chicago friends who hail from Michigan. I’m excited, though I’m dubious about their plan to open this fall. (PoPville, Young & Hungry, DCist, Washingtonian)
- A stipulated liquor license (temporary liquor license pending final approval) for the new 17th Street spot Duke’s Grocery was approved by the local ANC. The local ANC also voted to support a regular liquor license for the restaurant/bar; unclear whether a settlement/voluntary agreement will be entered into.
- A new wine bar/lounge, ENO, will be coming to Georgetown next to The Four Seasons Hotel, in September, according to GoG/Post. This mini chain gets rave reviews apparently in the other cities in which it is located: San Fran., Chicago, & San Diego)
- The building that houses the U Street spot Tabaq Bistro sold to the Cham Restaurant Group, who may or may not be transforming it into something called the Borka Kitchen & Bar. (WBJ)
- As exclusively reported by Barred in DC, Shenanigan’s, the Adams Morgan bar that has had many iterations since Angry Inch closed back in 2008, will have its liquor license suspended for 8 days (Sept 8-15) for serving 2 underage girls with bad fake IDs back in February 2012. (ABRA)
- The Reef (AdMo) had its liquor license indefinitely suspended after a stabbing occurred stemming from an altercation in the bar. (Fritz Hahn/Post)
- The Post/GoG releases some details about the new bar within a restaurant, 2 Birds, 1 Stone, a sister bar adjacent to the new Asian restaurant Doi Moi at 14th and S NW. The restaurant will open Tuesday, August 27th, while the bar will open “a few days” later. Lots of tasty-sounding food and frozen drinks.
- The quirky U Street watering hole known for its beers, no TVs and no standing policy (somehow have still not made it here), The Saloon, will be closed from August 4-29th. The owners will be in Liberia & Guinea (Africa) for their annual school building projects. (PoPville)
- Buried in this solid story about August-October fall drinking celebrations by Hahn is news that Biergarten Haus will be opening yet another bar area within the sprawling complex: a two-story drinking & eating space.
- Barred in DC Activity: