Up to 21,000 National Guard troops from across the country are expected to be in the DC area by the time of Inauguration Wednesday, with nearly 1/3 here by the end of the weekend. In part due to the viral tweets that showed many of these military reserve soldiers (mostly part-time) sleeping on the floor of the Capitol, but also due to a sense of appreciation for the protection being provided, many DC restaurants and residents have sought to support these Nat Guard members with meals. (Note: all of these members have in fact lodging at barracks or hotels around the area; the images show the members during their rest/nap breaks during their long 12-24 hour on-duty shifts).
Although the National Guard has stated that it is not in fact accepting donations, it appears that restaurants or others who have a contact with the Guard have been able to provide purchased (supplemented with donations) of meals and food. You may want to support these spots with a donation or a meal purchase for yourself. Here’s a running list of spots who’ve done so (link to donation page if available)
- We The Pizza (Eater article provides context that shows they’ve coordinated to provide food from the following). Donation link supports donations from all these spots.
- Good Stuff Eatery (their sister restaurant)
- PLNT Burger
- Pizzeria Paradiso
- Sticky Fingers Eats & Sweets
- The Duck and The Peach
- District Doughnuts
- Craft Beer Cellar is organizing donations (Venmo hstne-love). So far:
- Tony’s Place
- The Big Board
- Pie Shop
- Bullfrog Bagels
- Jose Andres/World Central Kitchen (Video here)
- District Taco
Know of any others? Email email@example.com or @barredindc on Twitter
You can also support DC residents in need by checking out my charity guide.
Leave a Reply